Season Preview: Arsenal


It's that time of year again and football of coming back! Can Arsenal top their FA Cup winning campaign this season?

The summer so far
Arsenal starting making transfers uncharacteristically early this summer. Four signings in the space of 18 days in July boosted their chances of a good season considerably. Sanchez is a great signing and will excite fans. If he recaptures the form he was in at Barcelona, he will score many goals this season. Debuchy perfectly fits that Sagna shaped hole at right back. Ospina will provide great back up for Szczesny and Chambers can play in centre back, right back and in midfield.
Arsenal had a short preseason, playing only 4 friendlies. 2 wins and 2 loses isn't great but the Gunners faced some tough opposition. The highlight of pre season was a 5-1 win over Benfica, where Yaya Sanogo scored his first goal for Arsenal and then scored another 3!
The first competitive match of the season came at Wembley in the Community Shield. It wasn't a full strength Arsenal team, or a full Manchester City team but that didn't take away from a great game. Debuchy, Chambers and Sanchez made competitive debuts and all three played well. Arsenal dominated the match and ran out 3-0 winners, unlike last season they didn't seem to be scared of Manchester City.

The rest of the transfer window
Arsenal have already made 4 signings and Arsene Wenger seems in no mood to stop spending. After selling Vermaelen, Arsenal have been linked with a range of central defenders as well as links with defensive midfielders and strikers which has continued throughout the window. More moves  look likely and I think that moves for players in all these positions will really give Arsenal more of a chance at winning the title.

League preview
As I said in my Premier League predictions (you can read them here: https://theblackstockblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/my-2014-15-premier-league-predictions-2/) I think that the league will be returning to London, but Chelsea will win it. I think that Arsenal will challenge for the title and definitely get top four.
Many journalists have placed Arsenal out of the top four in their predictions for the coming season, something that continues to happen every year. I think that suits Arsenal because the media underestimate them and they want to prove them wrong.
As I said above, Arsenal may well win the league if they continue spending and the keep all their main players fit. I would love Arsenal to win the league and I think that they will win the league at some point in the rest of Wenger's reign as manager. If not this season then it may  be next season. I'm not expecting to win the league this season, but after making the signings that we made, I at least expect to challenge.

Cup preview
After winning the FA Cup, I think that the players want more tastes of silverware and I think that Arsenal are a safe bet for a trophy.
Arsenal showed that they can get passed tough opposition in the cup, they beat Spurs, Liverpool and Everton on the way to winning the FA Cup, and that they can win at Wembley. Also, winning the FA Cup showed the players how much the fans want trophies, 250,000-500,000 people attended the parade at the end of the season.
The players and Wenger want more trophies and although I'm not expecting to win one, I really think that Arsenal can win another trophy this season.

Champions League preview
Firstly, to progress to the group stage, Arsenal need to face the tough challenge of Besiktas. Arsenal overcame another tough Turkish team last season to progress and I think they will do it again this season.
Arsenal will be top seed again if they qualify but they may well face tough opposition. Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, Juventus, PSG, Napoli, Roma and Galatasaray could all be faced in the group stage. We should still finish top of the group, at least qualification for the round of 16.
I think that Arsenal should take the competition seriously but I wouldn't count on Arsenal winning it. I would like at least a place in the quarter finals.

Overall
I expect this season to be an improvement on last season, especially in the league. I don't want to be celebrating a 4th place finish come the end of the season. I think that 2nd is realistically in reach, if not 3rd. In the cups we should challenge as well, maybe even winning another piece of silverware. If we make transfers though the season may be even better than I expect.

Post a Comment

[facebook][blogger]

SportsRooter.com

{facebook#http://facebook.com/SportsRooter}

Contact form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget